Building Homes or Extensions/fire olace

Question
After removing brick inside house to get rid of fire place is it ok to fill fire box area with insolation,frame up the hole and drywall and vapor over.  I have already covered top of chimney outside Also On either side of chimney, wall is cold and damp  should i remove drywall and re insolate and vapor this wall what are your thoughts.

Answer
Hi Barry, I don't see why you can't do that.  As long as you have the chimney pretty well closed off from the elements.  As far as your wall goes, if it hasn't been insulated then by all means insulating it will help prevent the transfer of cold into the living space.  It probably wouldn't hurt to check your chimney outside and make sure you have a good seal between the wall and the chimney..

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson