Building Homes or Extensions/fire olace

After removing brick inside house to get rid of fire place is it ok to fill fire box area with insolation,frame up the hole and drywall and vapor over.  I have already covered top of chimney outside Also On either side of chimney, wall is cold and damp  should i remove drywall and re insolate and vapor this wall what are your thoughts.

Hi Barry, I don't see why you can't do that.  As long as you have the chimney pretty well closed off from the elements.  As far as your wall goes, if it hasn't been insulated then by all means insulating it will help prevent the transfer of cold into the living space.  It probably wouldn't hurt to check your chimney outside and make sure you have a good seal between the wall and the chimney..

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.