Building Homes or Extensions/Inclose patio

Hi I want to enclose my patio can I use the existing stamp concrete as the floor? I just don't want any moisture problems.

JOdie, I assume you are talking about enclosing the patio and making it part of your home.  Code will not accept the project unless the patio has a frost depth footing around its perimeter and tied into the home's foundation.  This would not be a normal circumstance for a patio.

Most exterior concrete was never poured with thoughts of enclosing it.  It is "normal" to have a moisture barrier, usually Visqueen, under a slab to prevent moisture capillary migration.  Put a rubber mat or piece of plywood on the patio slab and leave it for a day, if the concrete is damp or wet when you pick up the mat, you will have potential moisture problems.

I'm sure that none of this is what you wanted to hear, but the next step would be to contact your building department's code authority to verify what I've told you.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.