Building Homes or Extensions/Inclose patio

Question
Hi I want to enclose my patio can I use the existing stamp concrete as the floor? I just don't want any moisture problems.

Answer
JOdie, I assume you are talking about enclosing the patio and making it part of your home.  Code will not accept the project unless the patio has a frost depth footing around its perimeter and tied into the home's foundation.  This would not be a normal circumstance for a patio.

Most exterior concrete was never poured with thoughts of enclosing it.  It is "normal" to have a moisture barrier, usually Visqueen, under a slab to prevent moisture capillary migration.  Put a rubber mat or piece of plywood on the patio slab and leave it for a day, if the concrete is damp or wet when you pick up the mat, you will have potential moisture problems.

I'm sure that none of this is what you wanted to hear, but the next step would be to contact your building department's code authority to verify what I've told you.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin