Building Homes or Extensions/Squeaking floor above me; intrusive noise

The homeowner above me recently installed a wood floor.  These condos were always noisy -- they have a "gypcrete" subfloor.  This owner (it it a rental unit) has flooded me 4 times in 6 years.  During the first flood, he came over with a shop-vac to suck up the water and wanted to just put a fan on top of the carpet to dry it -- no removal of pad, etc.  I thew him out of my condo, made an insurance claim, had the carpet pulled up and proceeded to mitigate the flood correctly.  Now that this floor has gone in, the squeaking is unrelenting.  I can hear everything -- footfalls (thuds), cats playing, and even hear the tenants having sex at night!  Could it be the joists with the weight and improper water mitigation up there?  Help!

Terry, I am so sorry to hear of your troubles.  Those laminate floors are all the rage, but even on the top side they have quite a bit of "drum head" sound in my opinion.  It is normal to put some type of foam under the new flooring.  There are acoustic pads made just to help with the sound transmission, it would seem your neighbor did not do it that way.

I wish I had some suggestions to help you after the fact.  Is there an HOA involved with these condos?  It seems to me that there should be some independent 3rd party that can/should intercede.  I assume you are not on good speaking terms.

The issues you describe does not sound like anything to do with a prior water leak.  If they poured light weight concrete on the upper sub floor when built, it was to help isolate sound.

I am sorry that I don't have any better suggestions.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.