Building Homes or Extensions/Repairing asphalt driveway

Question
We purchased a building with six units with a long asphalt driveway. The driveway is old and has some large potholes in it. We live in a climate with extreme temperatures - cold winters, lots of snow and ice, warm summers. We're thinking that it may no be worth doing a full repair, since it will crack again, and just trying to hire someone to patch the problem areas. Does that make sense? Is there anything else we should consider?

Thank you.

Answer
Sorry.  in Florida working on dads place.  short answer:  contact local asphalt  contractor to discuss cutting out potholes and capping the whole thing.  sounds like it is beyond adding a seal coat.  make sure to discuss drainage issues especially at beginning  and end if capping.  

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin