Building Homes or Extensions/Building a 6'x6' Pergola

Hi Bruce. I am building a 16'x20' ground level deck. It comes off the back patio door and I am using pressure treated 2"x4" for the framing and 5/4x6" decking boards. I want to add a 6'x6' pergola with 4x4 posts and 2"x6" top framing support and using 2"x3" for the slats on top and bracing the posts to the top frame. The question I have is in regards to supporting the posts to the deck. I was thinking of attaching them to the framing with carriage bolts. Is there any other way of supporting the posts without having to dig holes and cementing them. Any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Hi mike, I'm assuming you have or will have laid the ground work or your deck, i.e. some kind of foundation or structural support?  If so and you make sure your pergola has some kind of sway bracing such as knee braces in the corners or well attached purlins to keep it from twisting then yes you can frame out a pocket in your deck framing and bolt the column base to the frame before you deck it.

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.