Building Homes or Extensions/Building a 6'x6' Pergola

Question
Hi Bruce. I am building a 16'x20' ground level deck. It comes off the back patio door and I am using pressure treated 2"x4" for the framing and 5/4x6" decking boards. I want to add a 6'x6' pergola with 4x4 posts and 2"x6" top framing support and using 2"x3" for the slats on top and bracing the posts to the top frame. The question I have is in regards to supporting the posts to the deck. I was thinking of attaching them to the framing with carriage bolts. Is there any other way of supporting the posts without having to dig holes and cementing them. Any info will be greatly appreciated...thanks.

Mike

Answer
Hi mike, I'm assuming you have or will have laid the ground work or your deck, i.e. some kind of foundation or structural support?  If so and you make sure your pergola has some kind of sway bracing such as knee braces in the corners or well attached purlins to keep it from twisting then yes you can frame out a pocket in your deck framing and bolt the column base to the frame before you deck it.

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson