Building Homes or Extensions/Leak in cable pipe

Hi Bruce,

I live in a large new apartment complex. Lately I've noticed water dripping from a pipe in the basement that carries the telephone cable into the complex. The builder claims that there is a crack in the pipe under concrete where he cannot get to, so the way to fix it is stuffing the pipe with sealer and putty. So far the sealer which they put hasn't worked so they'll try different sealer. My question to you is if it's normal for a pipe to have water in it. I just want to make sure that it is not just a temporary solution.

Thank you

Hi Samuel, its not "uncommon" , let me put it that way.  Underground utilities like phone and cable don't necessarily need dry conduits to get from point a to point b so when one of those conduits gets a water leak I can see the contractors point in not wanting to tear up concrete to fix the problem.  The hardest part about  fixing the drip now is trying to dry it out enough to get something to stick to the inside of the wet pipe.  There are some good sealants put out by the marine industry that can be used in wet situations which should work fine. There are also some good silicone tapes out there that can seal a wet pipe and if all else fails a wet surface roof adhesive will work as well.   But as far as your concerns go?  It's a simple problem that will eventually get fixed once the proper  material is found, so go ahead and enjoy your new digs and let the builder fix the drip.  Sincerely Bruce Johnson

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.