Building Homes or Extensions/Residential construction adjacent to stormwater channel

Question
QUESTION: Hi Glen
May i introduce myself as "Rama" working in software industry,india.
I have constructed home Adjacent  to stormwater channel(around 3 feet distance).The dimenstions of channel is 7 feet wide, 6 feet depth. Build up area of house is 1100 sqft, RCC roofed column design.There are two floors (Ground floor and first floor).The storm water drain has concrete bed and side walls built with stones.I am not able to upload my .jpg file.

My fear is that whether leakage of the waste water flowing in channel (especially in rainy season) into column footings of building or leakage into foundation of building will affect seriously. Will my home collapse?
There are 12 Columns with footings of 5 feet depth (4 feet x 4 feet) each. Kindly suggest any precautions or corrections if it affects the building.
Regards
RAMA

ANSWER: Rama- Greetings.This is a good question but first let me assure you that your house will not collapse -at least without fair warning. You will notice first some leakage into foundation but then have time to sort out a solution. those channels do not contain water all the time, correct?
When you constructed your home were the footings and columns studied by a structural engineer, with the stormwater channel in mind? Is the side of the home that runs along the channel a primary bearing wall?
My thoughts are that as long as the stone walls in the channel are of good size and stable that you should not encounter any problems. Even with a "100 yr flood" you may only see a trickle of water within the house. Yet to give you an exact answer I would need a great deal of information.
Please feel free to contact me for any reason.
Best,
Glen

QUESTION: Glen,
Thanks for the reply.
I could not upload jpg file.
Drain water flows always in the channel. Footings and columns were designed for ground plus 2 floors by a structural engineer keeping in mind the channel. Engineer was not supervised the construction.I had given his structural design to a contractor.Later i found the footings were not as per design (approximately 40% deviation in thickness of footing bed). But i built ground plus first floor only because of improper footings. One of the walls of home run along the (around 3 feet distance) the channel.

The width of stone wall along side of the channel is 18 inch. Each block of stone is 9 inch x 9 inch x 9 inch.There is 5 inch thick concrete bed at the bottom of channel.
Best regards
Rama

Answer
Hi Rama- It sounds like you should not worry about it. The drain description that you gave sounds like it will take the water abuse and not encroach your wall.  I would, however, do an inspection at least once a year of the wall closest to the drain.
please feel free to contact me for any reason.
Glen

Building Homes or Extensions

Glen W