You are here:

Building Homes or Extensions/Residential construction adjacent to stormwater channel


House plan
House plan  
Hi Johnson,
May i introduce myself as "Rama" working in software industry,india.
I have constructed home Adjacent  to stormwater channel(around 3 feet distance).The dimenstions of channel is 7 feet wide, 6 feet depth. Build up area of house is 1100 sqft, RCC roofed column design.There are two floors (Ground floor and first floor).

My fear is that whether leakage of the waste water flowing in channel (especially in rainy season) into column footings of building or leakage into foundation of building will affect seriously. Will my home collapse?
There are 12 Columns with footings of 5 feet depth (4 feet x 4 feet) each. Kindly suggest any precautions or corrections if it affects the building.Please find the attached my residential plan

Hi Rama, you didn't mention whether the drainage channel was concrete or some other impervious surface but I am going to assume that it is.  As long as your column pads were placed on solid compacted earth or a rock bed you should be okay.  Most footings can hold up to ground water as long as the ground water is static.  The drainage ditch will help keep the ground water static if it is concrete and mostly contained.  A series of sheet pilings installed around the perimeter of the house may act as a deterrent to horizontally moving ground water but it can be expensive.  Also a french drain around the perimeter accompanied by a sump pump could help keep ground water levels to a minimum, however monsoon rains could overpower such a system after a while and it would probably reach a point where it couldn't keep up with the amount of water dumped by a torrential downpour lasting several days.   Sand bags placed around your structure will help keep the rushing canal water contained if it over tops the bank or for a more permanent form of rip rap can be bags of concrete /cement stacked in an overlapping bond with rebar rods driven through them and then wetted down to activate the cement inside.  If this proposed method is utilized you can put erosion fabric down first and then the rip rap.  I'm not sure how much elevation you have to your first floor or how available any of the products I have mentioned are.  Feel free to write again regarding this or other matters, sincerely Bruce Johnson  

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce E. Johnson


I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.


Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.

©2017 All rights reserved.