Building Homes or Extensions/burying water line

Question
I need to bury a water line from a well to the house (approximately 75'-100' from well to house).  I was planning on renting a backhoe to dig a five foot deep trench (frost line is 42").  How should I lay the water line within the trench?  Do I run it inside of pvc or some other conduit or do I simply bury it and place some sand around it before backfilling?  Thank you for your time.

Answer
Gregory, it would be unusual to use a conduit.  It would provide a method of replacing the line someday without having to re-dig the entire distance.  It would be much more normal to direct bury the line.  I do like bedding the pipe in sand.  It provides a protective cushion to keep stone and debris from rubbing on the pipe and if you ever need to repair the line, it sure makes it easier on the operator to know when to slow up and allows easy shovel work to clear the pipe path.  The cost is minimal and is relatively easy to perform.

You might price a directional bore.  There would be no path clearing or trench settling, just a beginning and ending pit.  The equipment involved makes it definitely not a DIY project.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin