Building Homes or Extensions/Exterior wall construction

What is the best practice for constructing exterior wall on home in central Mississippi with high heat and humidity- very few cold days. I will be using wood siding on some walls and metal siding on other walls.The building will be heated and cooled. My main concerns are protection from moisture, mold,etc related to the heat and humidity.

Sorry for the delay but I was out of town.   Generally, in homes in high humidity zones such as the gulf coast or Florida either no vapor barrier/retarder is recommended or if recommended or required by code the vapor barrier/retarder should be placed on the exterior side of the wall cavity.  Solar driven vapor/rain water can enter the wall from the exterior, come in contact with the cold air conditioned interior side of the wall and condense and wet the insulation, framing and interior wall covering.  

There is considerable difference of opinion on vapor migration and the consequences of such migration and how to prevent problems from condensation.

The first thing I would recommend is to talk to your local code officials to see if there is a code requirement.  If there is no code official contact a nearby county that does have code officials in that county and find out what they require or recommend.  Also, talk to insulation subs to see what they have experienced.

Two other resources that have excellent scientific data are TVA and the University of Illinois Residential Building Research Group.  I don't have phone numbers or web site info but I'm sure you can find them on the internet.  Good luck.

Len Kroll
Wood House Log Homes LLC

Building Homes or Extensions

Len Kroll

I can answer questions concerning log home design, manufacture, construction, maintenance/repair, restoration and insect control in log homes. I can also answer questions pertaining to wood properties, characteristics and performance as they relate to log home applications. Additionally, I can answer questions pertaining to residential construction and repair, some engineering and trade issues.

I have been in the log home and construction industry for 38 years, 10 years in a specialty contracting field and 28 years in the log home field. My company has designed, produced and supplied over 3,000 log homes and built over 500 and restored over 600 during that 28 year period. I was a volunter in AllExperts for several years and somehow fell off the map. I answered hundreds of questions during that term and had a very high rating.

I authored a monthly column in an in house publication expressing the Vice President and General Manager's "Observations and Insights" which was distributed to approximately 300 employees and management.

I have a BS Accounting degree from the University of Illinois, 1963, and a Master of Business Administration degree from the University of Chicago, 1968. I have participated in numerous relevant seminars over the years including an intense two week broad business administration seminar at the University of Pennsylvania Wharton School of Business, 1978. I have participated in the National Association of Home Builders Graduate Builders continuing education program.

National Honor Society Student, Illinois State Academic Scholarship, Dean's List

Aaron Tipon, Randy Travis, Billy Dean, Maryland State's Attorney General, US Army Retirement Complex, Boys Scouts of America.