Building Homes or Extensions/Garage floor

QUESTION: Hi Dan,  I have a typical two car garage attached to my house.  The garage floor has a center drain and the floor has excessive slope to the center.  Is there any way to level the floor short of tearing it out and redoing it?  Thanks.

ANSWER: Phil, it sounds like the installers wanted to let snow and ice to have good drainage.  YOu don't mention how you plan to use the space, but I suppose as living space or a shop.  Decorative concrete would really lend itself if you intend living space.

There are various topping concretes available that can be applied to level out the floor.  Some are self leveling.  The existing concrete will need preparation to help insure bonding.  They are all a bit expensive, but much less than the remove and replace method.

For DIY information:

If you read a few articles about the process you can see about finding a local contractor that specializes in it.  Many floor installers will be familiar with the choices as well as decorative concrete contractors.

Here are some more articles:

QUESTION: Thanks Dan.  I will be using the space to park two cars in.  There is so much slope it is actually hard to hold your balance.

Phil, if there is plenty of head room, the floor can be capped with another layer of conventional concrete using a small aggregate mix.  Any cracks or joints will transfer to the new cap, so should be tooled or cut.  Regular concrete cannot feather out to nothing will need a minimum depth of about 3/4 to 1 1/2".  Any good concrete contractor should be able to advise you.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.