Building Homes or Extensions/Building homes or extensions

I am in the process of remodeling a 1950's ranch with an ugly brick veneer on the former 'front'. Because this will no longer be the front of the house and all existing windows and doors on that elevation are being resized and relocated, the brick veneer will be removed and replaced with the lap siding to be used on all the other elevations. What do I do about the exposed brick ledge that will be left behind? The foundation is concrete block and about 4 inches will be left 'open' on that elevation after removing the brick veneer.

Brick Ledge Options
Brick Ledge Options  

In some cases it is preferable to accept the original "bones" of a building, in this case the brick veneer is pretty iconic to '50s ranch houses.  One alternative is to simply replace  the brick with one that looks better, and use a mixed surface exterior.  

Otherwise, consider one of the flashing alternatives (attached sketch).  To minimize the depth of the flashing lip, you could build out the rough wall surface with furring/sheathing etc. or even a second wall.  If you do frame the front wall thicker, the interior window and door frames will require jamb extensions or drywall wraps at their perimeters.

Special care is required at the door, but I assume that there is (or will be) a stoop, porch, etc., at the door area, which can be laid out to hide the ledge.

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Steve Major

Building Homes or Extensions

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and construction of homes and additions. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in building design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.