Building Homes or Extensions/structure


I am looking to buy a house built in 1986 however is has an off set crack and over 1/4 inch on exterior wall. also the floor type is tile and cracked in spots. There are small gaps between walls and floor.

Should I get a structural engineer to look at it?

Hi Larry, whenever we make a major purchase like a house it is always better to be safe than sorry.  Cracks in walls and flooring and gaps under walls could be indicative of settlement in the foundation or shifting ground.  Because of the cold weather your part of the country experiences in the winter, heaving frozen soil can have a disruptive effect on building foundations.   I would have the structure checked out by a professional.  He can determine if the cracks etc. are common and part of the homes natural settling conditions or if there is something more serious going on.  Looking at how the windows and doors fit in their openings is another good indicator.  Sincerely Bruce

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Bruce E. Johnson


I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.


Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.

©2017 All rights reserved.