Building Homes or Extensions/sweating problem

Question
I live in Manhattan,Il.about 35 Mi. southwest of Chicago. I own a ranch w/ 1/2 basement 3 Mo. old. We just had a wicked cold spell and when I went in the basement I noticed a puddle on the floor. I looked up and saw a 4" pvc drain coming from a bathroom upstairs was sweating so much it left a puddle on the floor. Why is this happening and how can I fix it.

Answer
Hi Mark, it's a simple fix really.  The pipe needs to be wrapped with insulation.  The cold water running through the pipe hits the warm air from the basement and condensation occurs.  There are plumbing insulation specialists out there that have special materials for this, or you can do it yourself  with materials purchased from your local big box home improvement store.  You can buy insulation wrap with a foil back.  Wrap the pipe and seal all the seams with peel and stick metal tape or duct tape.  The better the job the better the result.  You might even be able to find the materials the pros use..styrofoam , rubber foam or fiberglass pipe insulation made to fit over specific sized pipes and then seam sealed with special tape and mastic.  You can get it in one or two inch thickness.  I hope this information helps please feel free to write again regarding this or other matters, sincerely Bruce Johnson..bejohnsonconsulting.com

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson