Building Homes or Extensions/Closing off a skylight

Our roofer has closed in our skylight from the outside. (That is what I wanted.)
Now do we insulate it and finish the job inside? It is on a slanted bedroom ceiling. Ceiling is stippled.

Doris, any time you change and/or paint a surface, you must face the fact that a patch looks like a patch.  You need to plan a new texture and paint job if you cannot abide the looks of a patch.

I would wreck out the sheetrock returns from the finish ceiling up to the skylight.  It was probably boxed out with framing lumber.  You need to wreck out enough drywall to expose the bottoms of the box, so that you have something to which you can nail the new gyp.  I would leave the framing and add one joist type nailer at the center of the skylight.  Insulate with full depth fiberglass batts or rigid foam.  Install new drywall over the hole, tape and bed, sand and fill until smooth, texture the patch, touch up the paint.  If you are happy with the finish at this point, you are finished.  If not, you will need to texture and paint at least that half of the ceiling from the ridge line to the top of the walls.

Hope this helps

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.