Building Homes or Extensions/French drain filter socks

ShouId put a filter sock on my french drain pipe around my basement  footer on the outside. Do they help or is it a waist of time?

Some sort of filtration method is advisable, either a sock, or filter fabric laid over crushed stone, with the pipe beneath the stone.  

Clay and silt can infiltrate and could reduce water flow in the pipe.  The filter is meant to reduce this.  The filter sock could also clog, reducing the ability of the perforated pipe to take on water.  I like the second method better, but it is more costly and a bit more labor intensive.

Best of luck,
Steve Major

Building Homes or Extensions

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and construction of homes and additions. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in building design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.