Building Homes or Extensions/French drain filter socks

Question
ShouId put a filter sock on my french drain pipe around my basement  footer on the outside. Do they help or is it a waist of time?

Answer
Bob,

Some sort of filtration method is advisable, either a sock, or filter fabric laid over crushed stone, with the pipe beneath the stone.  

Clay and silt can infiltrate and could reduce water flow in the pipe.  The filter is meant to reduce this.  The filter sock could also clog, reducing the ability of the perforated pipe to take on water.  I like the second method better, but it is more costly and a bit more labor intensive.

Best of luck,
Steve Major

Building Homes or Extensions

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)