Building Homes or Extensions/HDF flooring questions

Stephen - you seem to be the only one that mentions you can answer questions about interior finishing, so I chose you.  :)

I am in the process of finishing up a flat (in Egypt) and seem to be finding HDF from many countries in different thicknesses (7, 8, and maybe 9 mm).  The countries I'm finding it from that I want to consider are Turkey, Belgium and Germany.  Warranties seem to range from 10 yr to 25 yrs.
Perhaps telling you a bit of what I'm using it for will help you help me make a decision.
1 - I am a single woman in my 60's - no children using this flat
2 - I want lowest maintenance as possible
3 - I only have about 35 meters to floor (bedrooms and dressing room only)

Questions I have are 1) do you have a preference as to the country or manufacturer you would use?  2) do you find the difference in mm thickness to make any difference at all in how well it wears?  3) Obviously the Turkish is the cheapest, the German is the 2nd most expensive and the Belgium the most expensive.  Does that make sense to you?  I've heard elsewhere that German is the best.

I need to order this early in November, so any help you can offer to sway me one way or the other is helpful.

Thank you.

The thickness of the flooring is not nearly as important as the thickness and hardness of the protective wear layer on top, and the presence of a vapor barrier on the bottom.  I do not know if you can get any reliable data from your suppliers in order to make a valid comparison.

Also be sure that your existing floor substrate is as smooth as possible (with no large holes or pronounced humps).  HDF flooring is non-structural, so it has little ability to span gaps or ride over bumps without cracking over time.

Without seeing the actual specifications, I would tend to go with the mid-priced German flooring.

Best of luck,
Steve Major  

Building Homes or Extensions

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)

I can answer any questions regarding the design and construction of homes and additions. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.

30 years experience in building design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.