Building Homes or Extensions/Multi Purpose Building

Question
Hello there!

Planning to build a simple multi purpose building in the Philippines. And I need help taking into account what are needed to build. What materials,cost to build. My plant is to build an apartment building(student studio type rooms with common restrooms) but incorporate room for business in the first floor.

Answer
Hi Apple, that's a tall order for this website.  First of all you need to incorporate an architect and an engineer into the project to work out all the building details.  There are several methods for doing a building like this..you need to find what works for the area you will be building in, materials available, building codes and ordinances etc.  I have never been to the Phillipines so I have no local knowledge of building materials, soil conditions, codes etc...there are also hurricanes to consider.  I would imagine that a concrete and steel building would be your best bet.  Concrete exterior walls, steel support structure for the concrete second floor and a steel roof deck.  Building a big box is the cheapest way to go.  The simpler the structure the better.  You also want as little flammable material as possible, hence the second floor being concrete over a steel deck.  You will need tenant separation between the apartments which will need to be not only sound proof but also fire resistant.  Metal stud framing with double layers of drywall  and wall cavities filled with rock wool works pretty well.   As far as costs go, figure somewhere between $85.00 to $125.00 a square foot for budgetary planning.  Once you get your architectural design into the developmental stage you can then begin to tweak your budget to fit your finances.  I hope this information helps, please feel free to write again regarding this or other matters, sincerely..Bruce Johnson..bejohnsonconsulting.com

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson