Building Homes or Extensions/Regulations

Question
I live in a rented property (house) which has an existing extension. Part of the extension is a utility area. Inside this area is foul water sewage drain with removable cover, that you would normally find in your garden. I would just like to know if this is legal and conforms to building regulations. Often it will smell and bring smell into the property.

Thanks.

Answer
It is possible to have a sewage manhole inside a home, but the cover should be sealed. It can sill be opened, but there should be rubber gaskets and clamps. If there are smells from the drain then they have either used the wrong type of cover, or perhaps the seals have failed.

Building Homes or Extensions

Martin Owen