Building Homes or Extensions/Regulations


I live in a rented property (house) which has an existing extension. Part of the extension is a utility area. Inside this area is foul water sewage drain with removable cover, that you would normally find in your garden. I would just like to know if this is legal and conforms to building regulations. Often it will smell and bring smell into the property.


It is possible to have a sewage manhole inside a home, but the cover should be sealed. It can sill be opened, but there should be rubber gaskets and clamps. If there are smells from the drain then they have either used the wrong type of cover, or perhaps the seals have failed.

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Martin Owen


Anything relating to the design and construction of extensions and loft conversions.


I currently work as an Architectural Technologist for, where I design extensions and advise on legal implications.

Degree in Architectural Design and Technology

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]