Building Homes or Extensions/cinder block construction

I am considering building a cinder block and concrete home and then berming it. (dirt on sides, back and top)  I live in north central Louisiana. I realize that it will have to be well waterproofed and sealed.  What is your opinion of this idea?

Hi Ray, it's done all the's called a basement.  Yes water proofing is critical and a footing drain field around the perimeter is useful as well ..where you are at is probably low lying so a perimeter drain may involve a sump pump but if you have enough elevation and can relieve the perimeter drain by gravity then a sump pump might not be required.   Berming  around the building is a good way to conserve energy as the dirt acts as natural insulation.  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.