Building Homes or Extensions/cinder block construction

Question
I am considering building a cinder block and concrete home and then berming it. (dirt on sides, back and top)  I live in north central Louisiana. I realize that it will have to be well waterproofed and sealed.  What is your opinion of this idea?

Answer
Hi Ray, it's done all the time..it's called a basement.  Yes water proofing is critical and a footing drain field around the perimeter is useful as well ..where you are at is probably low lying so a perimeter drain may involve a sump pump but if you have enough elevation and can relieve the perimeter drain by gravity then a sump pump might not be required.   Berming  around the building is a good way to conserve energy as the dirt acts as natural insulation.  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson