Building Homes or Extensions/TAP insulation

Our house currently has standard insulation in the attic.  Recently, TAP insulation was suggested to us to go over the other.  What are your thoughts on TAP in general and in terms of keeping termites away and other insects. Thanks

Dave and Patty,  I must confess that I had to look up TAP insulation to know what it is.  Blow in cellulose is a very common insulation and you should get your attic total close to the energy recommendation of an R38.

Termites attack from the ground and I would think they would do much more harm below, long before they get to the attic.  There are other pests like silverfish that love cardboard and paper bags.  Boric acid /Borax / borate treatment  is limited to dealing with insects to the best of my knowledge, in other words, it won't help with squirrels, mice,, or other critters.

You may find this interesting reading:
There are a number of similar articles, many negative to Terminix.

Based on this discourse, I think you should request a quote from a local insulator.  Leave out the TAP part of the conversation until you get a basic quote.  Once you have it, you can certainly ask him about the TAP or other insect treatment in his product or how much extra it might be for using that type of material.  This would give you a strong point of view on the issues.  

I hope this helps.  Let me know how it goes.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.