Building Homes or Extensions/Step requirment for rooms of different elevations

Question
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for looking at my question.  I appreciate your advice.

I am renovating a home and need help on step/landing requirement when entering a room that is lower in elevation than the room entering from.

The bathroom floor elevation is 6 inches lower than the floor level of the hallway we enter from.  Is there a requirment to extend the floor from the hallway into the bathroom, essetially forming a landing or step the same same elevation as the hallway?  If so, what is the tread/landing depth requirement and where is it measured from?

Thanks,
Gary

Answer
Hi Gary, standard landings are big enough to stand on and open the door and generally only required if the door to the room with the lower floor swings into the room.   If the door swings out you are more aware of the step down and can take precautions as you enter.  If the door swings in you are already moving into the room with the door as it opens and should have a landing. Coming out of the room the landing should be big enough to stand to one side or back up while you open the door.  An example would be a 3' door with a 5'x5' landing..3'x3' is required for the door swing, the other two feet is for standing on while the door is opened.

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson