Building Homes or Extensions/Tool for smoothing plaster

Hello Bill-C,

I live in a 1920 apartment building and have decided to paint after not having done so for 19 years. The problem I'm having is trying to figure out what tool I should use to smooth out some plaster damage.

I began pulling out some telephone wire that was stapled into the wall around a door frame. It must've been installed way back in the 60s I guess. As I was pulling the cable away from the wall, plaster began to break off leaving a straight groove behind. The edges of this groove are rough and protrude slightly. I don't think it would be a good idea to put joint compound over this groove without smoothing it out.

What tool should I use to make the rough groove smooth so I can spackle it and then paint?

Thank you so much for your help!

Use a mastic trowel .As called in the UK
They come in various sizes and are similar to a small flat knife.
You van then use decorators caulk to finish once the plaster has dried.
Apply enough to fill the rest and sponge wipe to smooth off.
This can then be painted cover once dry
Trust this helps

Building Homes or Extensions

Questions on UK construction from Setting out Projects through to completion. Mainly concreting ,drainage ,bricklaying, masonry,carpentry and decorating,plaster work ,render/roughcasting.From new build construction to historical restoration, renovation. How to set out ,levelling and survey matters.

Timeserved bricklayer , developing to Construction Site Manager and Educated to Site Engineer. Having been in the Industry for 35 years carrying out all types of general construction . renovation and historical renovation and remedial works.Now mainly on luxury dwellings to the value of 2M. Having been self employed and advising main Contractors and Developers through Construction phases and managing the works from concept to completion.Having a broad spectrum of experience.

Scottish Apprenticeship in the crat of bricklaying. Scottish Construction Industry Site Managers Site Civil Engineering Construction and Surveying Set out. Scottish Civil Engineering Analysis of Concrete and Mortar Asbestos encountering. Scaffolding Inspectors Certification Planning, Programming and Management