Building Homes or Extensions/Detailed house plans


Hello Stephen,

Our home is South FL construction from 2007. How can I get the house plans or whatever they're called with the detailed info about plumbing installation that run under the floor, inside walls etc? Is that something the county would have or only the builder?

Your help is greatly appreciated




Unfortunately the underground utility runs in residential construction are often not well documented.  The builder may have a plan, but that does not mean that it was precisely followed.

The local building code office should have plans, but again, unless someone took the time to draw "as built" diagrams of the under-slab work, or at least take photographs prior to placing the concrete, you may be out of luck.

You should check both sources, you may get lucky and find what you need.

Steve Major

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)


I can answer any questions regarding the design and construction of homes and additions. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.


30 years experience in building design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.

©2017 All rights reserved.