Building Homes or Extensions/'Smart Meters' ?

Question
Hello Dan,

In your Expertise description you mentioned Electrical so I have an electrical question for you.  

These electric "Smart Meters" that power companies are installing on our homes these days...I'm sure you're familiar with them, they are digital and took the place of the analog meters that used to have the "spinning wheel".   Anyway, I caught wind of a warning about them, saying they emit radiation and are dangerous to our health.  Apparently the radiation penetrates the wall and into the room adjacent to it's outside mounting location.  Do you have knowledge of this?  The reason I am asking is because I have a storage room inside the meter mount with cupboards with food in them, as well as food for my pets.  And I am concerned that radiation will affect these foods.  

Do you know about these meters?  And if so, do you know if any radiation emitted by them would endanger the food supplies?  Any thoughts you have are much appreciated.

Thank you.

Answer
Gary, I had read or heard something about this recently, but chalked it up to one more scare story.  Because you asked, I decided to get a bit smarter about it, which led me to this American Cancer Society piece:
http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/smart-meters

They pretty much say not worth worrying about.  Less RF than your cell phone or WiFi router.

YOur mileage may vary.  Read through the article - it left me not fearing the issues.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin