Building Homes or Extensions/Space under home

For some reason my home was built with open space underneath the kitchen and above the foundation. It seems to be completely open the entire size of the kitchen behind where the low deck attaches. Why would this have been left open and will we do any harm if we fill in this huge space with cement? Thank you

Hi Steven, are you talking about a crawl space? Many houses are built with a crawl space underneath  to access plumbing and to ventilate the floor system to keep mold and mildew from forming.  Maybe you can send me a photo and I can see if it is out of the ordinary.

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.