Building Homes or Extensions/Concrete Curing/Drying

I recently had a concrete driveway poured (three weeks ago).  It is still very dark in some areas and doesn't seem to be turning white like the contractor stated it would.  see attached.  Do you think it just needs additional time to dry or is there possibly an issue?

Hi Joe! Concrete is concrete, it behaves the way it wants to behave for various reasons.  It might take months for it to reach a consistent coloring and some areas may remain darker even longer. If the contractor used water to cure the concrete initially or applied a curing compound it might have been a little more consistent in color but it would remain darker longer.  The curing time for concrete is 28 days, which means it is supposed to reach design strength in that time, however it continues to cure even beyond that. And depending on weather, ground water conditions and the type of concrete used, the coloring could be affected.  If the color doesn't become more uniform after a few months you might have your contractor do a muriatic acid wash using a light amount of acid mixed with water.  That might help blend the color.  From what I can see from the photo it looks like your contractor put in a decent amount of control joints and the finish/texture looks uniform.  Give it some time, you should be fine once it weathers a bit.

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.