Building Homes or Extensions/condensate drain


Hello, I own a duplex in the state of Virginia with a crawl space. The adjoining home has a basement. When the homes were built, the contractor put the AC condensate drain tubing from the other home's basement through the common block wall and into my crawl space.

Is this a common thing to do? Nothing about this was revealed to me prior to buying the home. What if this tubing needed to be repaired on my side of the wall? Wouldn't the adjoining property owner need my permission before entering my property?

The contractor is very reputable and has built over 60 homes in this subdivision and many others elsewhere.

Thanks, John


Unless there is language in your deed that makes the crawl space part of common property (as a shared driveway or shared lawn might), then yes, you would need to grant permission for anyone to enter your crawl space.  

Where does the condensate discharge to?  Into a sewer or storm drain?  Or just onto the soil?  If it is wetting the soil under your house, then this is an unacceptable condition that can lead to elevated humidity, and even mold growth.  

I would request that the tubing be removed and the adjoining property should deal with it within their own building footprint.

Best of luck,
Steve Major

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)


I can answer any questions regarding the design and construction of homes and additions. This includes trade-specific questions (how-to) in all major building trades: framing, foundations, site prep, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, water treatment, interior finishing, trim & cabinetwork, exterior finishing, roofing, siding. PLEASE indicate your state or region, so I can provide the best possible answer. PLEASE provide photos whenever possible.


30 years experience in building design and construction, all hands-on, including the construction of dozens of single-family homes and hundreds of remodeling projects in the northeastern US.

Author: "Architectural Woodwork - Details for Construction" published by Van Nostrand Reinhold (now Wiley).

BS Cornell University.

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]