Building Homes or Extensions/Leveling P&B foundation before adding an addition

Question
We have purchased an older P&B 1700 sq. ft. house that need to be "balanced". Term used by the foundation company that did the inspection.  There are a couple of low spots.  We are planning a 300 sq. ft. addition.  My question is : Should we have the house balanced as is before an additions or wait until the new addition has been added?

Answer
Hi Megan,  if by balanced you mean leveled up it would probably be best to have it done at the same time as the new construction and by the same contractor.  It would cost less this way because it becomes just one more phase for the contractor that he can do in conjunction with the other project.  Otherwise you will have to possibly hire a completely different company to mobilize onto the job and incur those added mobilization costs.  If your addition contractor doesn't think he can handle the existing house foundation work then I guess you will have to hire someone else who specializes in foundation work.  Generally speaking though, a post and beam floor system is relatively easy to work on and most general contractors should be able to handle it. Unless one of the areas of foundation concern directly abuts the new addition then it doesn't matter what takes place first, the addition or the foundation leveling.  But if you have settlement issues where your new addition ties into the existing structure then you will probably want the foundation leveling work to precede the work on the addition.  I hope this information helps, please feel free to write again regarding this or other matters.  Sincerely, Bruce Johnson, bejohnsonconsulting.com

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson