Building Homes or Extensions/modular or other construction

Hi Dan, I have been living in New York for 7 years but born and raised in Kentucky. I have 3 kids and a wife. We have looked at Wood tec modular homes here in NY and some of the log styles are niv and affordable. What would you suggest for a family like us who are not rich but could afford maybe $800 or $900 per month payment and plan to live in a home a long time, needing 4 bedrooms. From NY it is difficult to really shop for lots or homes. But it seems like modular homes are a nice alternative. What do you think?
Thanks, Ron

Ron, modular can be excellent homes.  Because of design limitations, you won't get fancy layouts, but the construction methods can be excellent and provide good basic shelter.

The biggest drawback would be code compliance.  Check with your local AHJ at the building department to see if there are any restrictions or special inspections required.  We used some for portable classrooms that were manufactured out of state.  Our code people required independent third party inspection at the manufacturer's facility.  It was mostly a formality, but did create an additional cost.

The simple fact of being a modular home is not a deal breaker.  Through their sales department, assure yourself of quality and dimensions of materials.  They may already have systems in place for site work and code issues in your area.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin

I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.

I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.