Building Homes or Extensions/Flashing sunroom to brick ocean front

hi Bruce,
I am having a four seasons sun room installed on my deck which is over my kitchen. My concern is how will the contractor flash the verticle siding to the brick, which faces the north east. We live on a bay just south of Boston and get major wind swept rain.Should there be a cut in the masonry or is there an other way? Should they use lead, copper or ?

Thanks for your help

Hi Mark, yes cutting a kerf in the brick and installing an "Z" shaped flashing bedded in a good urethane caulk is one way.  You can surface mount your flashing with a good bed of caulk but a kerf adds a little more protection because you get below the mortar joint surface and create a vertical dam, so to speak.  Either method is acceptable with stainless steel, galvanized metal, aluminum, lead or copper.  Clean and etch the surface of the brick prior to the work and your sealants will work more effectively.  Often times the contractor will use a thick butyl tape behind the wall end that attaches to the brick to add another layer of protection from the elements. Sincerely, Bruce Johnson  

Building Homes or Extensions

Bruce E. Johnson

I can answer any construction related question in regards to carpentry, concrete, drywall, masonry, structural elements of any type of building, residential or commercial. Interior or exterior.

Custom Commercial and residential buildings. Churches, theaters, schools and auditoriums. Most recently I am working with the Catholic Church on several design build committees. I have a website related to scheduling and project supervision. Although my expertise is more related to multimillion dollar commercial, educational and theatrical projects my generous credentials in residential and remodelling construction make me a viable source of information regarding all forms of building questions.