Building Homes or Extensions/extending roof

Question
i have a ranch home.  I want to add on add 10' to back of garage.  i want to follow the roof line (4/12 pitch)  can i set on top of old wall and sister to existing rafters (2x8)?

thanks

james

Answer
James, that would be normal and proper.  The stud wall should be more than adequate for the load.  If you continue with the 4in12 and go out 10, your outer wall will be 40" (3'4") lower.  If you have composition shingles, they need usually a 3in12 minimum which is still 30".  Many patio roof type roof extensions get much closer to flat which will require hot tar, modified bitumen, or TPO type roofing.  If you do go that route, take extra caution where the low slope meets the existing, because maintaining that joint waterproof is difficult.

If I've not understood your intent, please feel free to send me another question.

Dan

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin