Building Homes or Extensions/Insulation between old wall and addition

Question
We built an addition out the back, so they are two inside walls. I know the contractors did not insulate the whole wall because they said it didn't have to do it because it is an inside wall, but there is a gap between the two walls, which obviously goes up to the food. We have a problem with ice damms and snow melt. Should we open up the wall and insulate the whole wall. it is a cathedral ceiling/, at least 15 feet. I need help!

Answer
wall insulation
wall insulation  
Lisa,

If there is an un-insulated gap between the walls and it is in contact with an outside wall and/or roof surface, then it should be insulated at its exterior perimeter (see attached sketch). The goal is to prevent heat loss and air infiltration at exterior surfaces.

I hope this answers your question.  Please let me know if you need more information.  

Thank you,
Steve

Building Homes or Extensions

Stephen Major (Owner--Major Design Group)