Building Homes or Extensions/Relocating columns in basement for support beam

I have an 8" x 6.5" x 3/8" I beam in my basement supporting the first floor. I want to move some of the steel round columns supporting the I-beam. What is the maximum distance I can have between columns? Are there charts for span lengths for other size I beams?

The space varies depending on the size and type of floor joists you have. Yes there are several floor span charts you can download off the internet. One issue about moving steel support columns.... The steel support columns are sitting on a concrete pad that is poured before the concrete floor is poured. It ranges in size and thickness depending on single story house of a two or three story home. You cannot just move the columns on place them right on the basement floor. So you would have to break the basement floor and dig down and put in  concrete to support the weight of the house  

Building Homes or Extensions

Russell Spataro

I can answer all questions regarding building homes or adding on to an existing home

14 years experience building custom homes

25 years as a carpenter