Building Homes or Extensions/FINISHING A FRAMED CABIN

Question
Hello, I am a Retired/Disabled Vet and am living on a small income. I am having a small structure framed (16x20, 2 story) on
my property in WY in a few months, it is isolated with no power or city water available,and I plan on doing the inside myself. Question #1. what order should I install the insulation, water pipes, electrical wiring? If I can insulate first, is it ok to have the piping and wiring touching the insulation?

Answer
Robert,

Where in Wyoming?  My daughter lives in Cody.  Where in Colorado? I'm from Boulder.

Is this new place, a man cave, a summer get-away, year round use?  As a general rule I would try to keep all water usage away from outside walls to reduce any potential freeze problems.  You may also want to make provisions for easy blow down or drain down of any and all water fixtures, both potable and waste.  P traps and toilets are problematic and probably best served by treatment with anti freeze.

Pipe and wire can certainly touch insulation.  It is much easier to install the plumbing and electric in open stud bays.  You want to avoid squashing fiberglass insulation as it reduces its R-value, but it is inevitable sometimes.  I hope this gets you off to a good start.

Building Homes or Extensions

Dan Griffin