Building Homes or Extensions/FINISHING A FRAMED CABIN


Hello, I am a Retired/Disabled Vet and am living on a small income. I am having a small structure framed (16x20, 2 story) on
my property in WY in a few months, it is isolated with no power or city water available,and I plan on doing the inside myself. Question #1. what order should I install the insulation, water pipes, electrical wiring? If I can insulate first, is it ok to have the piping and wiring touching the insulation?


Where in Wyoming?  My daughter lives in Cody.  Where in Colorado? I'm from Boulder.

Is this new place, a man cave, a summer get-away, year round use?  As a general rule I would try to keep all water usage away from outside walls to reduce any potential freeze problems.  You may also want to make provisions for easy blow down or drain down of any and all water fixtures, both potable and waste.  P traps and toilets are problematic and probably best served by treatment with anti freeze.

Pipe and wire can certainly touch insulation.  It is much easier to install the plumbing and electric in open stud bays.  You want to avoid squashing fiberglass insulation as it reduces its R-value, but it is inevitable sometimes.  I hope this gets you off to a good start.

Building Homes or Extensions

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dan Griffin


I can answer almost all questions related to the total construction process. My expertise is in commercial construction, though I can field most any residential question. I have hands on experience in concrete, heavy equipment, masonry, all phases of carpentry, interior finishes, and I am fairly strong in mechanical and electrical.


I have over 20 years experience as a commercial carpenter and commercial construction superintendent. I have another 20 years experience in facility management for a major school district.

My favorite hobby for he past 12 years has been singing bass in a The OkChorale men's barbershop chorus and the Mature Moments quartet.

I hold a Bachelor's degree in English and Math. I have completed many continuing education hours in the building trades. I hold a Master Carpenter card from the AGC, Associated General Contractors.

©2017 All rights reserved.