Building Homes or Extensions/Curbside mailbox

Should I build my dream curbside mailbox at my Austin, TX street address where everyone has a curbside mailbox or would the USPS cluster box plans make such a structure obsolete soon.

Hello, Henry.

Before you build your mailbox, take time to check with the local postmaster to see if there are plans to add a cluster box in your neighborhood. If you've seen other cluster mailboxes in a nearby neighborhood, it might be a sign that the USPS has plans to add a cluster box in your neighborhood. I honestly don't know if the planning department gets involved in this sort of thing or not, but a quick call to your local building/planning official could give you the answer. There may be codes and ordinances that affect the placement of cluster boxes, because they affect traffic.

If you don't get a definitive answer from anyone, or if you get a response that there are future plans for a cluster mailbox, I'd say that you can build your curbside mailbox. If and when a cluster mailbox gets placed, you can repurpose your dream mailbox into an artsy conversation piece. For ideas, I suggest that you visit; it's a great site for inspiration!

Good luck, Henry!

Diane Plesset, CMKBD, C.A.P.S., NCIDQ
D. P. Design  

Building Homes or Extensions

Diane Plesset

I will answer questions about designing and building a new home, building an addition, remodeling a home, sustainability ("green" building and remodeling), aging-in-place, kitchen remodeling, bathroom remodeling. The goal is to help homeowners achieve ultimate satisfaction with all of their choices and decisions.

Over 25 years in residential design, construction, improvement, and remodeling. Hundreds of completed projects in all ranges of investment. Author of the award-winning book "THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling," host of "Today's Home" on Lifestyle WebRadio, and public speaker.

National Kitchen and Bath Association (NKBA), National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), Interior Design Protection Council (IDPC)

THE Survival Guide: Home Remodeling. Designer's Illustrated, Gentry, Interior Coordinator (Japan), Kitchen-Bath Business, Kitchen-Bath Design News, Oregonian, Portland Tribune, San Francisco Chronicle, San Jose Mercury News, San Mateo Times, Statesman Journal

Degrees in residential interior design, bath design, kitchen design, and lighting design. To improve knowledge about codes, products, and trends that will affect homeowners, I regularly attend tradeshows, conferences, classes, and seminars, and read 7 major trade magazines and newsletters.

Certified Master Kitchen-Bath Designer (CMKBD), Certified Interior Designer (NCIDQ), Certified Aging-In-Place Specialist (C.A.P.S.). AWARDS: Henry Adams, Chrysalis, Best of the Best, CoTY, Master Design, HBA Excellence. 2003 NABE Award for best how-to book.

Please see the portfolio in my website,