Bulbs/Naked Lady bulbs

Chrissy wrote at 2013-03-14 03:16:49
The naked ladies plant is actually not the amaryllis belladonna mentioned above, though that plant is similar. I too was having trouble finding naked ladies by doing a google search for "naked ladies bulb," which I first discovered in a gardening book. So I did a search for its scientific name instead, which was listed in my book. then it came up easily in a google search, and I was able to order bulbs. To find true naked ladies (also called surprise lily), do a search for this: "lycoris squamigera"

my book says this about the amaryllis belladonna: "In arid western regions, grow amaryllis belladonna. It's similar but it's about a foot taller with slightly larger flowers."

Long Island Gardener

Growing Tulips? Dahlias? Daffodils? Gladiolus? It doesn't get easier than bulbs and tubers. Once in a while, something goes wrong: The dreaded Narcissus Bulb Fly, which resembles a honeybee. Mosaic virus, which can ignite a field of tulips in a single season. Nematodes, lurking underground. Here on the North Shore of Long Island, the garden is full of surprises. If you live in the Northeast/Atlantic Coast, I can help you pick the right bulb for every season, indoors and out, and help you fertilize, bloom and harvest for home or work. How: I have degrees in related fields, but my best understanding is all learned from trial and error. For most of my 53 years I have been gardening somewhere. No matter what the problem, I've learned the best answers are always Organic -- Earth friendly, less expensive, healthier for people and pets, easier and cleaner than toxic liquids and powders that big chemical companies sell so smoothly.

Besides degrees in related fields, and a few favorite horticultural societies, I work as a docent at our local botanical gardens -- but it's the years of work in the garden that's the real test.