Can you tell me if dalias multiply?  I have looked online and had no luck finding the answer.
Thank you

Hi there

Dahlias do multiply by producing bigger tubers that need dividing every two years when they start into growth as they come out of dormancy. When you lift them, you need to make sure that they have an 'eye' and a couple of swollen tubers and cut the tuber into sections. Replant straight away and give each new plant a thorough watering.

They need to be shaded at first until they re-establish their roots and then treat them as normal after a few weeks. They will then flower in their normal season.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan Alderson

I cannot answer anything about propagation from seed or dividing Begonia tubers. I cannot answer anything about the temperatures for indoor bulbs.

I know a lot about most bulbs, corms and tubers that are for outdoor use or as half hardy plants. I know about forcing bulbs for earlier flowering indoors and how to care for them during that time and how to maintain a good standard of health. I can answer questions about the planting times, watering, care after flowering and lifting of the tender types or the forced varieties. With the garden types, I know a lot about the planting dates and when they flower and about the different varieties or forms. I know how to plant them and how deep to plant them. I do not know much about the true indoor bulbs but know quite a bit about the Hippeastrum. I know a lot about Narcissi, Crocus, Iris Recticulata, Muscari, Hyacinthus, Tulipa and Anemone Coronaria. The other bulbs for outdoors are part of my knowledge and I can answer most things about them but it is mainly spring flowering bulbs I know about. I also know a bit about Lilium and Gladiolus hybrids too. I have a lot of books on this subject and grow my own bulbs every year and I know about the storage of most types. I do know a bit about the Dahlia too and storing them over winter and then getting them ready for cuttings in spring.

Trade Base Community Allotment Association.

I have an NVQ Level 1 in horticulture.