newly planted snowdrops didn't flower this spring-
only the leaves came up. what can i do for next time?
they were planted with some sand in the hole, watered often
and near a magnolia tree. thank you jonathan. philip

So sorry for taking so long to answer but I did not get the email that I had a question.

Galanthus do not transplant well when dried but they do take root even though they can take a few seasons to establish and flower. They take a lot of TLC to bring them back to strength but there is another way of planting them.

At the end of the flowering season, you can buy bulbs that are 'in the green' and they need planting right away but they will still have enough time to establish before they die down to dormancy. If your Galanthus do not flower next spring(January-April), then consider buying bulbs 'in the green' but you will have to wait for the following year for the flowers but at least it is better than waiting several seasons for the dried bulbs to regain strength and vigour to flower.

It does sound like that you will have to wait another season for flowers but there is another alternitive.

These days you can buy spring bulbs in leaf, bud or flower. Look in the local garden center or florist in about February or March to find pots of them in bud. These can then be planted straight away and this way they will not suffer stress. You also get flowers that season and the bulbs will multiply quickly.

I hope this helps.

Again, I am truely sorry to keep you waiting.

Jonathan Alderson

I cannot answer anything about propagation from seed or dividing Begonia tubers. I cannot answer anything about the temperatures for indoor bulbs.

I know a lot about most bulbs, corms and tubers that are for outdoor use or as half hardy plants. I know about forcing bulbs for earlier flowering indoors and how to care for them during that time and how to maintain a good standard of health. I can answer questions about the planting times, watering, care after flowering and lifting of the tender types or the forced varieties. With the garden types, I know a lot about the planting dates and when they flower and about the different varieties or forms. I know how to plant them and how deep to plant them. I do not know much about the true indoor bulbs but know quite a bit about the Hippeastrum. I know a lot about Narcissi, Crocus, Iris Recticulata, Muscari, Hyacinthus, Tulipa and Anemone Coronaria. The other bulbs for outdoors are part of my knowledge and I can answer most things about them but it is mainly spring flowering bulbs I know about. I also know a bit about Lilium and Gladiolus hybrids too. I have a lot of books on this subject and grow my own bulbs every year and I know about the storage of most types. I do know a bit about the Dahlia too and storing them over winter and then getting them ready for cuttings in spring.

Trade Base Community Allotment Association.

I have an NVQ Level 1 in horticulture.