Bulimia/Eating Disorders/binge eating

Question
hi there, i'm 18 and i have been sort of binge eating for 2 years now,, not terible though, sometimes i dont , but is has been goin on for 2 years (btw i used to be teribly underweight)
my question is just that fir the last to years i have had problems with my stomach,, is it possible to get terible stomach pains/cranps after eating too much?? I was sort of binge eating thursday and thursday night i had the most terible pains i've ever experienced-- i coulkdnt sleep at all!! and i've been feeling half sick till 2day-- which is sunday-- i'm finally starting to feel better now. Is it possible for the stomache to hurt this much?? i'm trying to stop though-- i havent made my self through up since last year , so i am making progress. It just makes me sad to think that i have never had a healthy relationship with food!! please let me know if the stomache pains is normal to binge eating??
thanx

Answer
Jeanne Rust, PhD
Jeanne Rust, PhD  
Dear Anna,

Yes, it certainly is possible to have severe stomach pains after binge eating.  It's one of the consequences!  It's wonderful that you're not purging!  Good work because I know how hard that is!

Are you in therapy?  It's so difficult to develop a good relationship with food -- people with eating disorders have used food as a way of coping with stress in their lives.  Learning different coping strategies other than ones that are harmful can take a lot of work!

Let me know how you do!

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
Mirasol, Inc.
888-520-1700
www.mirasol.net
www.edrecovery.com

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD