Bulimia/Eating Disorders/im just confused, pretty much hopless

Question
hi there, so i need some advice, its not completely e.d related but i have a feeling my bulimia is not helping at all. I'm 17 and I'm in college, i dropped out of school at the beginning of my 12th grade year because i got into a lot of trouble and we moved to a different city. When we moved i was falling really heavily into heroin in my old town and i binged and purged so much because of how disgusting i felt, so i was sent off to an adolescent rehab. Even in rehab i would b/p and no one caught me. Since ive been out, ive lost all my friends and have no one. when i say no one. i mean the literal term of it. all the people i used to hang out with think im a bitch, slut or a dike... and it kills me because im neither of those things, im a girly girl and i wish i had a boy, it makes me cry even thinking about the fact ive never had a real relationship. I go to the community college now... which is a good thing. But i cant control the purging. it happens so much, a lot more then it used to and im not even losing weigh anymore, its such a depressing cycle. I just dont know how to feel less worthless, all i do is sit around my house, b/p, and do school. my parents are okayish, but every time i try and tell my mom how i feel she just says im "guilt tripping" her... but it hurts me even more she wont just listen to me. im so lost...

Answer
Jeanne Rust, PhD
Jeanne Rust, PhD  
Dear Emile,

I'm so glad that you wrote me!  A couple of things -- I know you're feeling hopeless right now -- but you are not hopeless!  You have had a lot going on in your life and this is why you've used drugs and bulimia as coping mechanisms -- this is what eating disorders are for -- a way of coping with stress.   It doesn't seem like you're getting the support you need right at this time.

The good news is that you can get completely well.  First of all, are you in therapy and seeing a nutritionist?  That's number one!  If you're not in therapy, you need to find someone who specializes in eating disorders.

Do you have a passion in life?  Something you really like to do?

There is also a book I'd like for you to get from Amazon -- it's $14 and it can help a lot.  It's called Bulimia: A Guide to Recovery by Leigh Cohn and Lindsey Hall.  It has a section that is like a recovery workbook for bulimia.  I'm happy to help you with this.  It can at least give you some direction.

Are you on any medication?  A little medication just for a short while could help you tremendously.  Prozac at 60mg is the best for bulimia.

Keep in touch and let me know how you're doing!

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
Mirasol, Inc.
888-520-1700
www.mirasol.net
www.edrecovery.com

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD