Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Uncoordinated Feeding

Question
Hello,

I'm a 40 year old man who is rather over weight and also with a large belly.

I have observed that when i face a lot of stress and frustration i have a craving for food and then after eating i feel tired and heavy and unhappy about it.

The unfortunate thing is that i always go back to eating when under stress. I have been able to reduce drinking and smoking but i still eat a lot and also late in the night. I have tried various means to control this but to know avail, and I'm now worried about my health

please advice on a way out.

Thank you

Answer
Jeanne Rust, PhD
Jeanne Rust, PhD  
Dear Afolabi,

What you're describing is a typical condition for someone who is, indeed, under a great deal of stress.  You're using overeating as a way of dealing with stress in your life.  I also know that you're suffering from some depression and anxiety.

Go to your doctor and get some medication for depression and anxiety.  This will help you quite a lot!  Also there is a great book by Christopher Fairburn (amazon.com) that is called Overcoming Over-eating.  It has a plan on how to stop the compulsive eating.

I'm so glad that you wrote, Afolabi.  I can really relate to your struggles.  Another thought for would be for you to look up the kinds of foods that have a low glycemic index.  Eat those foods -- starches, fats, and sugars have high glycemic indexes and will cause you to crave foods much faster than if you're eating protein and fruits and vegetables.

Please let me know how you do!

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
Mirasol, Inc.
www.mirasol.net
www.edrecovery.com
888-520-1700

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD