Bulimia/Eating Disorders/whats wrong with me

Question
Hi, Firstly, I am male, and 21 years old.
Throughout my teens (and currently) I have always had a problem with food, I hate my body, I always have. When I got really down I used to throw up after a meal, when I was 17-19 this used to happen a couple of times a week. My family doesn't know, if they did they haven't said anything about it. Anyway after a while I stopped, I don't know why, nothing changed. Now I've started again, but I'm also beginning to cut myself as well. Whats wrong with me? I'm told repeatively that its something I will grow out off, or at one point its "unmanly" and I should just deal with it.
Now I don't know what to do... I'm confused, alone and tired.
Basically what I'm asking, is whats wrong with me?

Answer
Jeannie Rust, PhD
Jeannie Rust, PhD  
Dear Peter,

First of all, you are NOT unmanly!  You will not grow out of this!

You are reacting to stress in your life by having a problem with food and also the cutting.  Sometimes people cut to let themselves know that they can still feel or that they can feel pain?  I don't know in your case.

However, this is something that you can get help with!  Growing up hating your body and purging is not normal but is a coping reaction to other events or possibly even some trauma in your life.

I'm glad that you're 21 because now you can see a counselor or therapist without the permission of your parents.  Do you live in London?

If so, I know a fabulous therapist there.  Are you on National Health yet?

Let's figure out some way of getting you the help you need.  You don't have to live like this any longer!!

Please keep in touch and let me know how you do!!

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
Mirasol
www.mirasol.net
www.edrecovery.com

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD