Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Bulimia Recovery

I have had severe bulimia for the last five years, ages 17 to now 21. I am taking serious steps for recovery. I have finally opened my eyes to my disease and have decided I truly want to recover and quit this self-destructive disease.
What vitamin(s) or supplement(s) are best to take? I know the best source of nutrients is from a healthy diet, moderate exercise, and sleep. However, I would assume I need to also be taking some sort of vitamin.
My entire life, my nails have grown very slowly, but now they basically do not grow. Also, I have gone from being 5'6.5" to now being 5'4.5". Literally there is a line on the wall at my childhood home where I use to measure my height and mark it.. so I know this to be a fact that I have shrunk. Also, my teeth feel that they have lost enamel. I haven't had dental insurance in a couple years, but I have it starting back in January so that I may see a dentist.
Is there a specific type of doctor exam I should have? I have been concerned that I might have created some sort of internal issue that I am not yet aware of, such as throat or stomach concerns.

Thank you for your help!

Hi Breck,

I am so sorry you have had such a battle with your bulimia, but I am glad that you are on the road to recovery. Nutrient deficiencies are very common among bulimics, so taking a multivitamin is a great idea. I recommend that you actually start with a prenatal vitamin - they are often higher in nutrients as they are meant to support a month and fetus.

Given your height is shrinking, I would recommend two things: 1) as soon as you get insurance, get your doctor to order a bone density (DEXA) scan to test for osteopenia or osteoporosis. 2) Make sure you are getting at least 2000 mg of calcium a day and 2000-5000 IUs of vitamin D. Your multivitamin likely won't have that much in it, so you'll need to supplement with additional calcium and vitamin D. Also, make sure that it is vitamin D3. If your insurance covers chiropractic, you may also want a chiropractor to evaluate your spine for reasons behind the height shrinkage - discs out of alignment, etc.

As far as throat and stomach issues, are you experiencing any acid reflux? If so, that is a good indication that something is wrong. If not, it might still be a good idea to get check by an ear, nose, and throat doctor (Otolaryngologist). They may want to put a scope down your throat to check for signs of damage.

Finally, please see a dentist as soon as you are able to. While vitamins and minerals are important for tooth health, at this point, it sounds like you may need to have some restorative work done on your teeth.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Good luck!  

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government