Bulimia/Eating Disorders/over-eating

Question
I have a bit of a problem: I eat constantly. As soon as I wake up every morning, I head straight for the refrigerator, then as soon as I get home from class, to the kitchen. Shortly thereafter, I head to work (a local restaurant), which enables me even more opportunity to consume food, as we are permitted to eat as much as we would like on the job.  I wish I could find a non-restaurant job, but because I have not yet attained a degree, I have no professional experience or certifications, and my school hours conflict with the hours of most business, excluding restaurants.  While eating, I gain a sensation of being full, yet I continue to eat until my stomach is aching horribly in pain and I feel sick.  From my understanding of bulemia, one vomits their meals after eating, which I do not do, ruling that out.  I've tried to refrain from over eating numerous times, but all attempts have failed. I know that with many compulsive over eaters, they binge in secret, are ashamed of themselves for being overweight, eat to relieve stress, etc, but I have none of these problems. I am completely stress-free. Honestly, I am one of the happiest and most carefree people I know, and anyone that knows me would agree. I am not overweight (I'm 6'2", 190lbs, 34" waist), I do not eat in secret, as it is all day long at home, at work, at school, etc. I've tried eating more protein and fiber-rich foods, such as eggs, apples, etc. because they are supposed to make you feel full faster and stay full longer, but that was ineffective, too as when I get full I continue to eat. In a nutrition class I took a couple years ago, we calculated our average nutritional intake for 1 week, and according to the results, I ate an average of 6,280 Calories per day, which I know for a fact is not healthy. I really love food, but I need to quit eating so much because I know it is negatively affecting my health. What should I do?

Answer
Jeannie Rust, PhD
Jeannie Rust, PhD  
Dear Mathew,

I'm so surprised at your weight!  You must have a very fast metabolism.  Maybe this is why you're hungry so much of the time?  Without being overweight.  Very amazing.

There are doctors who specialize in functional medicine who could give you a complete physical, tests, etc. and maybe begin to find out what's going on with you.  I'm not saying that you have Binge Eating Disorder because of your height and weight.  There are also some places you can go where they can accurately test your metabolism.  I would highly recommend this.  

Do all of this stuff, tests, etc., and let me know what you find out.  Then I can much more accurately assess you and help you once we have the information.

Warmly,
Jeanne Rust, PhD
CEO/Founder
Mirasol, Inc.
www.mirasol.net
www.edrecovery.com
1-888-520-1700

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD