Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Bulimia recovery calories?

Question
I am about to start treatment for bulimia. In over a month, I am signed up to see a team of doctors, including a nutritionist, psychiatrist, and a therapist.
I am 17, 5'2" and 139 lbs, and am somewhat active (not sedentary at least). I know there are calorie calculators, but people are often recommended to eat extra if they are in recovery, and there are differing opinions on whether aiming for weight loss is reasonable during recovery.
I may have heart problems due to purging or malnutrition, and am scheduled to get an electrocardiogram soon. My doctor said I shouldn't exercise because of this.

I was wondering how many calories I should eat daily until I see the nutritionist.

Answer
Hi Ash,

I am so sorry you are going through this, but I am so glad that you are entering treatment.

We need to address the nutrient density of the foods you are eating and not just your caloric intake. You didn't say what you currently eat, so I want to make sure you are not only eating enough calories, but also eating healthily. I would like for you to go to this website and create a profile: https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/CreateProfile.aspx. Once you've done that, it will tell you how much you should be eating of each food group each day as well as how many calories to aim for. If you click around, you'll even find sample meal plans.

Good luck and let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD