Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Not able to eat out!

Alright so for about 1 year now I haven't been a me to eat anywhere but my house. It seems when I try to eat at school or at a restaurant I can't eat. When I put a piece of food or try to take a little sip of my drink I will throw up. This started happening about halfway through 7th grade. No I am in 8th grade and it is really starting to effect me. I can't go out to eat with my family or eat at school. Which means I don't eat for 7 hours. And going I. To highschool next year I need to gain weight. Please help I am a 14 year old male and athletic. I will be completely honest one time when I was masturbating I felt a very weird feeling and I tried to eat out and I couldn't. Please help. Also I have this little bump next to my throat that seems abnormal.

Hi Jake,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It seems like we may have two different issues to deal with here.

1) physical - I am very concerned about the bump on your throat. Have you seen a doctor about this? If not, please do so ASAP. It could be interfering with your ability to swallow and/or keep food down.

2) psychological - I need more information here. Do you have any problems eating at home? Can you eat a regular meal at your house? Do you eat different things at home v. out? Have you seen a counselor about this?  

Once I know more about the psychological issues, I can better advise you. In the meantime, please see your family doctor about the bump on your throat. Keep me posted.

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government