Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Not able to eat out!

Question
Alright so for about 1 year now I haven't been a me to eat anywhere but my house. It seems when I try to eat at school or at a restaurant I can't eat. When I put a piece of food or try to take a little sip of my drink I will throw up. This started happening about halfway through 7th grade. No I am in 8th grade and it is really starting to effect me. I can't go out to eat with my family or eat at school. Which means I don't eat for 7 hours. And going I. To highschool next year I need to gain weight. Please help I am a 14 year old male and athletic. I will be completely honest one time when I was masturbating I felt a very weird feeling and I tried to eat out and I couldn't. Please help. Also I have this little bump next to my throat that seems abnormal.

Answer
Hi Jake,

I am so sorry you are going through this. It seems like we may have two different issues to deal with here.

1) physical - I am very concerned about the bump on your throat. Have you seen a doctor about this? If not, please do so ASAP. It could be interfering with your ability to swallow and/or keep food down.

2) psychological - I need more information here. Do you have any problems eating at home? Can you eat a regular meal at your house? Do you eat different things at home v. out? Have you seen a counselor about this?  

Once I know more about the psychological issues, I can better advise you. In the meantime, please see your family doctor about the bump on your throat. Keep me posted.

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD