Bulimia/Eating Disorders/what is my problem?

Question
QUESTION: ""Ok for a good year now I have not ate at a fast food place or at a dinner. I can't eat at school either. When I read aloud in my class or even go up to ask my teacher a question I feel like I am going to throw up. I can't even concentrate in school anymore because all I worry about is throwing up and it is really effecting me in a bad way. I need to be able to go out and eat with my family and friends because I always have to make an excuse that I can't go eat with them. I asked a few other experts and they all mentioned this catogory. I need as much help and what I can do to fix this fast. I can eat a whole meal at my own house but if I'm at a dinner I might be able to eat a bits at the most. That's how bad it got to. Please I need help ASAP. should I see a doctor? Have you ever experienced anything like this?""

ANSWER: Hi Jake,

I still believe this is some sort of social anxiety or social phobia. You need to see your general medical doctor for a referral to a psychiatrist or psychologist. Please let me know what they say.

Good luck!

QUESTION: alright i am going soon. i am just afraid that i will never be able to eat out again and this will never go away.

Answer
Hi Jake,

Don't get too discouraged. It will go away, you just need some help conquering your phobia... That's where a trained professional comes in. Just be sure you are completely honest with your doctor about what is going on so he or she can refer you to the right place for help.

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD