Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Vomiting/body image

Question
QUESTION: Hello, I hope you're doing well. This may sound odd and im pretty embarrassed , i'm a male in my early twenties. For years ive engaged in on and off periods of very restrictive eating and excessive exercise.  My habits somewhat normalized for a while (maintained a weight of about 135, i'm 5'7) but after I got married I gained alot if weight, going to 165, and with much less time on my hands to exercise I began vomiting, in addition to restricting and exercising. I since lost about 25-27 lbs but I experience chest pains and excessive heart burn and I have limited vomiting but am having alot of trouble stopping unlessI eat very llittle throughout the day ( perhaps 750 calories comprised of very small meals) . Do you have any advice regarding stopping? I have a family to support and I do want to be mentally and physically healthy. Thanks so much for your time. Any advice would be highly appreciated. Best wishes.

ANSWER: Dear Steve,

I'm so glad that you wrote me!  You definitely have a raging eating disorder.  You were bulimic before you started vomiting by using excessive exercise.  

You sound as if you're in a good relationship and that your family is important to you.  I would suggest at this point that you see your doctor and get an EKG and blood work to see if you've had any physical damage.  Also it would be great if you could see a therapist that specializes in eating disorders.  Your eating disorder is quite advanced and will definitely begin to affect your health.

Could you tell me a little more about your situation?  Do you have health insurance?  Is seeing a therapist a possibility for you financially?  Let me know and we'll see what would be the best thing for you to do at this point!!

Warmly,
Jeannie Rust, PhD

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your response. I do have health insurance.  I actually started seeing a therapist a little whole ago, about once a week but sometimes less. Even with her being generous enough to cut down her cost I am having a difficult time paying for it and I have not found it to be very helpful. Initially it helped a little but ive kind of been at the same place since I first started going. Because of that and the financial difficulties I am actually planning on stopping soon.

Answer
Unfortunately, Steve, most people can't get the amount of therapy they need. Once a week is no where near enough.  See if there's an intensive outpatient program in your town.  It's usually 3 times a week -- an evening session.  Otherwise, if you keep on getting worse, you'll need to go to in-patient or residential.

I had a young woman who signed up for Mirasol's intensive outpatient program 2 weeks ago.  She was a bulimic/anorexic.  Before she made it to even one group, she died.  Suddenly.  Please see your doctor.  Find out about your health and see about that Outpatient program -- insurance might cover all of that!!  You won't get well without it!

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Jeanne Rust, PhD