Bulimia/Eating Disorders/Food issues

Hello, I hope you are well. I'm a 24 year old male, ive had cycles of extreme dieting behavior since about 15.this includes very low calorie diets, intensive exercise, etc. I was fairly stable for a couple if years until my wife and i had a child and i gained weight, and used vomiting and dieting to lower it. I managed to bring this under control until i started a new job recently during which i eat about 300-500 calories a day until i get home late in the evening, eat a meal of perhaps 500-600 calories and throw up. I have been experiencing chest and throat pain and any advice would be very appreciated.  Warmest regards.

Hi Steve,

I am so sorry you are going through this. You are experiencing the side effects of your eating disorder. It sounds, from your description, like you have the binge-purge subtype of anorexia nervosa. Are you seeing a treatment team for your eating disorder? Would you be open to it? Your side effects are only going to get worse unless you seek proper treatment...

Bulimia/Eating Disorders

Mary Pritchard, PhD

I can answer questions about the psychology of eating, disordered eating attitudes and behaviors such as drive for thinness, drive for muscularity, binge eating, body dysmorphia, dieting, excessive/obsessive exercise, and body dissatisfaction. I can also answer questions about anorexia and bulimia.

I have a PhD in Psychology and teach courses in the Psychology of Health and the Psychology of Eating. I have been conducting research on disordered eating and exercise behaviors for 15 years.

Midwestern psychological association, rocky mountain psychological association

Over 50 peer-reviewed journal articles in journals such as Eating Behaviors, Eating Disorders, and Eating and Weight Disorders

PhD in Psychology from the University of Denver

30 teaching awards, have received funding to conduct my research from academic institutions and state and local government